Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day 33 - Home at Last

Total Miles Driven: 8061
Total States Visited: 25 + the District of Columbia
Totally Exhausted People: 4

The actual route we took across the country

I'm pretty sure today was the longest 6 hours of my entire life. We must have stopped for 'a break' a dozen times on the way home today. We actually woke up pretty early and enjoyed the hotel's free breakfast one last time. I was amazed at how beautiful the property was here. Too bad it was so late in our trip because the girls would have loved to play in the big, grassy quad around the swimming pool. But exhaustion had set in, and after breakfast we just sat in our room and watched TV until they kicked us out at noon.




We talked briefly this morning about visiting Disneyland while we were here. We're only about 20 minutes away and parking and entrance tickets would be free, but the votes were split with A saying she wanted to go, C saying she didn't, and K bouncing back and forth. I, personally, could go to Disneyland anytime and love it, but this was the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and the park was packed. I also had to take into consideration the likelihood that once I got into the park, I wouldn't want to leave, and the thought of a midnight or 1am arrival back home was not a pleasant one. In the end, I decided to be sensible and skip the park today. C had the most passionate opinion anyway, and it was probably for the best. She actually picked up everyone's clothes, packed up the entire room, and helped carry stuff to the car. Anyone who knows her knows that that is highly unusual behavior for her, and I just didn't have the heart to argue with that kind of passion to get home.

As the day wore on, I realized that we had made the right choice indeed, as the girls' (and my) exhaustion became too intense to imagine enjoying a day in the park today. I must admit that I also considered the possibility of buying another hat in Disneyland, but I guess I'll just have to order it online, like the Information Desk clerk suggested back in Florida.

We were literally on the home stretch now, and although I accidentally got on Hwy 99 instead of Hwy 5 at some point, I managed to cut back over and make my way north towards home. (It was a dead giveaway that there were flowers and bushes near the side of the road. I thought, "vegetation? scenery? this doesn't look like highway 5!")

As we got really close to our home, I remembered thinking how strange it was to realize that we hadn't been in the Bay Area, much less California, for more than a month. I suddenly felt like we'd only gone away for a weekend trip and were just heading back home.

Mike had hung decorations on the house to welcome us home, although I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that saw them.



The girls rushed inside to greet Ginger and Kamea, whom they had missed greatly.

 C with Ginger
A with Kamea

We had a wonderful adventure, but it's good to be home. We have lots of adventures here, too, and we'll try to share them with you as often as we can!

Thanks for joining us on our road trip! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment