Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

While none of us are really in the mood for late night fireworks (and at least one of us is very happy to avoid them altogether, [*ahem* 'C']), that doesn't mean we didn't do anything to celebrate the holiday.

Actually, the 4th of July arrived really early for us this morning, with a very early wake-up call and breakfast on the run while we headed to the local 4th of July parade with the girls' scout troop. The aptly named American Heritage Girls walked down the parade route on the last day of a ridiculous hot spell that has been plaguing us all week. It was a good experience for the girls, but I think we've all decided that we like watching parades much more than being in them.

Waiting for the parade to start - we were close to the end of the parade.

This is most of the group that turned out. They look so patriotic (and adorable)!

Ready to start walking

The Patriotic moms and dads followed behind :)

And after all that fun in the heat, it was time to go straight home and take a nap. Well, I took a nap anyways. The girls just relaxed with a movie and enjoyed the air conditioning. 

In the afternoon I decided that I wanted to take advantage of the holiday and make a recipe that I've been saving and looked insteresting. I rarely turn down the opportunity to bake something, but this was way beyond the things I normally make. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I thought I'd give it a shot. While I was in there, I decided to go ahead and make some fresh fruit popsicles and a couple of loaves of banana bread as well. And then I did three loads of dishes. :(

It took me several hours to finish the cake, but here it is. I think it turned out pretty good, don't you?




We've got a couple of really busy days coming up (but seriously, when are we ever not busy? - oh ya, on the 4th of July - go figure!), so I didn't feel one bit guilty staying home and skipping fireworks tonight. Besides, I'm sure we'll be hearing them all night here in our neighborhood anyway. 

Happy 4th of July!  

No comments:

Post a Comment