Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Not So Far After All

I've been watching my odometer quite a bit lately. I'm not sure why, but the sequences of numbers it's been hitting lately have been so fascinating to me:

160,000 was certainly a milestone, but so was 165,000 and 166,000.
Even 165656 and 166666 caught my eye.

But one day recently my car flipped 167,000 and I did my typical mention-to-no-one that I have now driven 17,000 miles since Christmas last year (when my odometer flipped 150,000). "So, I've driven 17,000 miles in 8 months", I said.

Mike responded that almost half of that is from my road trip around the country, so yes, the numbers are inflated this year.  But it also dawned on me that in order for that to be true, that would mean that more than half of those miles were done driving around here in California, not far from my home.

I couldn't name more than half a dozen places I've visited that were any kind of countable distance in those 7 months (subtracting the one month for the trip), because most days consisted of driving around town or to local (less than an hour away) entertainment.

So, even though driving around the country seems so exotic, so far, most of you have probably driven that far this year already as well.

I've driven the equivalent of traveling across the entire country and back this year without even noticing it. Have you? It kind of makes everything seem a little more within reach, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment